Watching the news today actually reminded me of the Israelites and how many times God kept giving them chances to trust Him and to follow Him. I wonder if God will give us as many chances as He gave His chosen people. I am convinced we may be very close to pushing God past the point of no return in this country! How many things can we continue to do that are against God’s laws and still expect Him to be on our side? The Israelites kept trying God, too, and He kept giving them another chance. I think it is even worth listing them again (and maybe again! if we still don’t understand that HE IS THE GREAT I AM!).
- Israelites witnessed nine plagues God sent on Egypt and Pharaoh, while making sure the Israelites were not affected. (Exodus 7:20; 8:6; 8:17; 8::24; 9:6; 9:23; 10:13; 10:22)
- Israelites also witnessed the tenth catastrophe God used on the Egyptians by killing their first born child while the Angel of Death “ Passed Over” their own first born. (Exodus 12:35-38)
- “ And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light –“ Exodus 13:21 NKJV He showed them that He was the One leading them and showing them the way!
- The Israelites knew it was God who led them across the Red Sea on dry land while He held back the waters like a wall! (Exodus 14:21-22)
- Israelites watched as God allowed the sea waters to drown the Egyptians army and thus saving the Israelites. (Exodus 14:26-28)
- God once again showed His power as the One and Only God, by making the water in the desert fit for them to drink. (Exodus 15:25).
- God even appeared to them and reassured them that they would have food to eat every day! “Now it came to pass, as Aaron spoke to the whole congregation of the children of Israel, that they looked toward the wilderness, and behold, the glory of the Lord appeared in the cloud.And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “I have heard the complaints of the children of Israel. Speak to them, saying, ‘At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall be filled with bread. And you shall know that I am the Lord your God.’” Exodus 16:10 NKJV
- The Israelite children knew that it was their God that aided them in their battle with the Amalekites, because whenever Moses arms were tired and he dropped them down, they were losing the battle. But, when Aaron and Hur held up Moses’ arms for him, the Israelites defeated the Amalekites! (Exodus 17:8-16)
- Finally, for my thoughts today: God even descended before the Israelites to be sure they knew beyond a doubt that He is the Lord their God: “ On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled. Then Moses led the people out of the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the Lord descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently. As the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him.” Exodus 19:16-19 NIV
While listening to the news today, I wondered just how long God will let America go against His laws and still keep America as the Land of the Free? We have taken Him out of our schools; we have made it legal to kill His unborn children; we have made it legal for same sex marriage; and through all of this, Christians have remained silent. Have we already waited too long? How many times have we heard our pastors and Christian leaders remind us: “- if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14
I know going over the things God did for the Israelites has made me wonder where America stands in the Eyes of God. Will you join me, Fellow Travelers, in asking God to forgive us and to bring a revival to our country and we can once again keep His commandments and His instructions! Let’s do it for our children and our grandchildren and their children!!